Timp saw an extensive revision going from 1.5 to 2.0, so it deserves its own post.
The two biggest updates from my perspective:
- Timp 2.0 now feels a little bit more secure (especially through the mid foot) due to the improved outsole,
- It feels a little bit more "runnable" when you're on the road and not on the trail.
Lastly, this Grey/Blue color of Timp 2.0 is loved by many (including me) and is also the most preferred color combination.
Now a little bit more detail than that.
The biggest downside of Timp 1.5 was its outdated outsole (which incorporated so called DuraTrac technology) which offered quite poor traction capabilities.
Considering that this is a trail running shoe, this could have and did report some bigger issues than comfort: Safety. Some users reported twisted ankles and some other ankle injuries.
Now the lugs protruding outwards from the outsole got updated to what is called the "MaxTrac" in Altra's terminology, and made up the biggest update going from Timp 1.5 to 2.0.
To my knowledge, MaxTrac is the second most recent outsole grip technology used in all the Altra trail running shoes.
Another thing that might have caught your attention on the outsole is the vertical channel starting from the heel and reaching out almost to the midfoot.
This split in half adds to the flexibility, allowing it to move more freely in lateral axis and hence providing extra independent lateral suspension. This means that;
- On slippery surfaces, you're now much less likely to slip sideways,
- Any sort of collision on one side isn't going to be able to affect the other side anymore.
Other minor changes
There are also some subtle changes in the upper, lacing system, foot-shape toe-box and the midsole, but nothing really noticeable in practice for the majority of us.
You can think of the Timp 2.0 as the trail version of the road-running shoe Torin.
Watch the founder of Altra explaining all the changes took place:
- How's it going guys I'm Connor from Running Warehouse. Today I'm here with Golden Harper founder of Altra and we have the latest update to the Timp series.
- This is the Timp 2.0. Now just taking a look at this shoe it looks completely new from top to bottom. What is this shoe all about?
- Yeah so Timp is just an awesome balance of cushioning trail, road to trail comfort all wrapped into one. It's gonna be a great long day shoes (how we've historically pitched this shoe) and put a new traction pattern on it. That's gonna make it great for a wide variety of surfaces.
- Great great now comparing this to 1.5 like I said it looks very different can you talk about some of the updates?
- Yes so the Timp 2.0 is gonna have an outsole that's just better multi surface traction to it. Multi-tiered bugs gonna be better for all kinds of conditions. And then put a new upper on it similar to the 1.5 upper in a lot of ways. Really nice balance of comfort and control on this upper. And then with the asymmetric lacing being subtle but they're just really you know this shoes emphasis is comfort for long miles out on the trailer for road to trail and obviously has our signature balance cushioning platform to help improve your running form. Our foot shaped toe box as well to you know just give you more power stability and control at push off and obviously more comfort.
- That's great now for someone who's maybe been in the 1.5 before what would you say is kind of the biggest change from this update in terms of feel on foot?
- I'd say it feels a little bit more secure through the mid foot and it feels a little bit more runnable when you're on the road are probably the two biggest changes out there. Also like side to side traction on the trail because of the the way the lugs are set up so those are the biggest changes if you liked Timp or sorry a Torin we're on the road this is basically a trail version of the Torin or a road to trail version of the Torin.
- That's great that's great now this shoe is gonna be out very soon when when can people get this?
- The end of 2019 you should be able to pick this up.
- Perfect, you can check it out at running warehouse!